Elder Swartz

Elder Swartz

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June 17th, 2013

So this week has been a very, very difficult week. There were also some really, really great parts, but my mission is bringing me different experiences it seems everyday.

I'm okay, don't worry. But there been a big issue that happened in the branch that resulted in an attempted suicide. I only say attempted because he hasn't died yet. He'll die probably today or tomorrow. Without going into details, he received a traumatic head injury that he will not be recovering from. And me, being the senior elder in Penza, I've been tagged as the translator between... well everyone. I don't mean to make myself out as some scarred, tragic, pity-case. In fact, it's been very interesting being in the middle of it. I've got a lot of positive things from it happening as well, but it definitely has been one of the more difficult things that has happened on my mission. The mother is in shock right now, probably denial. The father is taking it really hard, and the brother is probably finding out about it right now as I'm typing this from his mission president. 

It's really weird.

I'm honestly doing fine though. In fact, we had one of the funnest weekends in my entire mission. Weall went down to Saratov for a district conference and it was an incredible opportunity to say goodbye to my favorite missionaries and members. I got to see Kevin there!! We were super happy to see each other! He's been reading the Book of Mormon, but he's still having a hard time. Mary, he said he wanted to thank you for that letter he got from you. He aid at first, he was offended, it was pretty bold. But as he thought about it, his heart was softened as he realized what love he felt from it, a girl he didn't even know who cared about him. He said it gave him a lot of strength to keep reading the Book of Mormon and keep trying.

I really don't have any time, I have a lot of stuff to do to clean up the situation that's happening here. It's weird that I'm even involved, I wish that I didn't have to worry about it, but because of the nature of the issues, I got placed right in the hot spot. Pray for this family that they will be able to feel the power of te Atonement working in them and so that they will be able to come closer to God because of it.

Thank you dad for your letter. Happy Father's day. I'll consider myself a step ahead of you because I already think that I have the best dad in the world and I already figured that out a long time ago. Yeah, maybe I had some stuff to work out within myself, but honestly I think that every teenager takes for granted what his family really is until he sees a million other ones that are 1000 times worse. Then he realizes there are no perfet families and suddenlyhe is so grateful for how functional his family is and that he has a father who not only doesn't come home drunk but is probably one of the best (but not perfect, which I'm glad for) examples of a good priesthood holder and a patriarch of his household. Thanks for your support.

Loves, 

Elder Swartz.

No comments:

Post a Comment