Elder Swartz

Elder Swartz

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Letter #40 from Russia

So this week, I just got back from france singing with Carrie underwood and
Lead singer from the Killers, who actually is active in the church now. Our
mission president decided that I was a better singer than my sister and
that I deserved the absolute best. So their flying me to all the missions
in the world and perform with famous people, in about twenty different
languages obviously. It's pretty awesome. But man, travelling is a beast. I
bet Hermana Swartz is not even close to being as tired as me...

Okay, so that was my jealous rant.

So this week has been super fun though! My new comps are obsessed with
singing and area both really good, so we pretty much are a trio always...
singing. It's really odd, but it's been a drastic change from my last cycle
from it being silent all the time and my companion never wanting to talk to
me, so I'm welcoming this with open arms. We sing in church everyweek.

So also, I still haven't gotten that recipe for tomato basil soup... which
I need. NEED. Also, if anyone is sending me a package soon for whatever
reason... if you could fit a pair of conservative earmuffs in them that
would be really beautiful. Also, I want a recipe for Pesto still as well.
Please help me out.

So... Exciting news. I got my first baptismal date in three cycles!! It's a
guy named stanislav, but we call him stas. He's so wonderful! He's known
about our church for like ten years, but he didn't really do anything about
it until now. We've met with him a few times, and everytime, he ends up
teaching us a lesson instead of us teaching him, but even though he's super
spiritual, he's super humble and he feels that we are different. The other
day we had a meeting with him and before we even got started, he said "I
really love the feeling of this building. I love all the people here, they
are so different. I think it's because they actually have the Spirit. That
Why I want to join this church." All of our mouths just dropped and we
talked to him about what he would have to do to join and what would have to
happen for him to gain a testimony and he's so excited. He loves us and
loves the church already. He says his family isn't protiv... Is that
english? Against it... We have still yet to meet his wife, or his daughter,
but from what it seems, they are interested as well because of what Stas
has been telling them.  He also looked all this stuff up about joseph
smith, which usually scares people off... but he just said it made him want
to join even more. He told us that Jesus Christ had tons of people against
him because that's how Satan wanted it. He said that a good way to tell how
good a person really was is not only by their fruits, but also how many
people hate them and spread lies about them regardless of how good a person
they were. I really like him. The only problem is that sometimes he's
unreliable and doesn't show up to meetings or to church. We talked to him
aout that though and now he doesn't set up a meeting unless he can for sure
do it, so that's good. Essentially... he's awesome.

Also, German and Sergei are also looking pretty good right now! They have
been emailing president Sartori back and forth (they know english) and he's
really been helping their progress. If this continues and they keep their
commitments, there's no way that they won't get their answer.

I'm going back up to Samara this week to work with some leaders. It's fun
on one side because... well, it's always fun to go and work with other
missionaries and get advice and have fun together, but it's frustrating
because there's so much work that needs to be done in our area and I hate
leaving it! haha! But it's only for two days and then we come back and work
like crazy!! It's going to be awesome. Also, I hada Russian who knows
Englsih tell me that I speak with a Russian accent.... I'm pretty sure she
just doesn't know what she's talking about because you have to essentially
just give yourself an accent to get one. We speak way too much English to
have Russian Accents. Which, is actually not what I want.

Resolved. I will speak so much Russian that I will come home  with an
accent.

Also, I got this CD From the Assistants, AKA Elder Bresfkjl;fjsk;housen and
Elder Morris and it has some sweet folk arrangements of hymns, one of which
is Sufjan Stevens singing Come Thou Fount... So beautiful.

Hmmmm... Also... I don't know what to say anymore. I love you all, usually
I don't have this much time... I finished faster than usual with President.
I am excited to... uh... be a missionary still... haha!

Loves, Elder Skvortz!

No comments:

Post a Comment