Elder Swartz

Elder Swartz

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Letter #8

Ni Hao!

So we got our Russian name tags this week! It's really exciting! Except the other day, all the people going to Samara got called down to the travel office to sign their visas except me. The lady said it was fine that I wasn't called down, but I couldn't help but feel she was just saying that. man, I hope I don't get delayed... That would be quite saddening. Oh well, I'm on the Lord's time, he'll have me where he wants me.
Elder Holland came to talk to us last night! Finally! After 10 whole weeks in the MTC, I got an apostle, and one of my personal favorites, if not my favorite!! and it was totally worth it! It was a very interesting talk by him, it had a different air to it than his other talks. I don't know exactly what happened before but it put him in a mood that I had never before seen him. His talk was amazing because of it though, of course. He spoke of many things, and answered questions that missionaries wrote down for him. I really enjoyed a story that he shared with us about Ralph Waldo Emerson, the man that President Mckay said was the smartest man in america. I don't remember the details exactly so forgive me, there was a calf in his backyard that he was trying to move into it's living quarters but the calf would not move. For those who have never moved a calf before, supposedly it is nearly impossible once it has it's feet planted. Anyways, after many unproductive attempts at trying to move it, he finally asked his house maid for some help. She was a local girl and just helped him out around the house with things. When he brought her outside, she stuck her finger into her mouth, removed it, stuck it into the calve's mouth and gently led where Ralph had wanted it. Well, Emerson was dumbstruck by this and couldn't even say anything to her. He immediately went into his house and wrote these profound words: "I like people who can do things." What supposedly the smartest man in America could not do himself after however many attempts, a simple house maid could do on her first try. Why is that? It is because she was who she was and he was not.
There are people in Russia who are much like that calf. They have their feet planted in the ground and no matter how many times previous missionaries have tried, they have not budged. But simply because of who I am, because of everything I have experienced and everything that I am made of, I will be able to move that person forward and bring them to Christ. Yes, it will only because of the spirit that I will be able to do so, but there is a reason that they don't do the rainbow lessons anymore. They want it personalized. They want MY Gospel that only I can teach. Not, Elder White's, not Elder Black's. Not even Elder Holland's. They need mine. That is why I'm going to Russia.
I've loved hearing from everybody and I'm so grateful for all your help and support! Oh, haha! One more thing, I just hosted Elder Howard into the MTC a few minutes ago. That was fun! I loved seeing him! His mom gave me a hug... haha! It was okay though! It wasn't a problem! He was pretty nervous. It was obviously hard for him to leave everyone and everything, but he told me that that's the reason he was here, because of everything he was leaving behind. Anyways, I have to get off now! I love you all!!

Love, Elder Swartz!

No comments:

Post a Comment