Elder Swartz

Elder Swartz

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Letter #2 from Russia

Привет
So this week has been great! Our water worked the entire week! Zdorova! We are getting a lot of new investigators, but no one here ever comes to appointments. Like, for reals. Since I've been here, I can't even tell you how many appointments that we have set up with people, at least two or three per day, and there have been around 4 or 5 occasions where we aren't completely blown off. Sometimes they call us if it won't work out, but usually it's just nothing.People here are so busy all the time, or at least they say they are, but maybe if they took the time to plan out their day and keep to their appointments, They wouldn't be russian around trying to get everything done in the last minute... I'm dead serious and making a joke at the same time. I'm the coolest.
I'm not homesick yet. The closest I can say that I've come to being homesick yet is probably yesterday when we went to visit a friend of a member and while my companion and the member were discussing the gospel with the adults, I was occupying Little Daniel who's probably two and a half or so. haha! It was so funny! Russian children are some of the most adorable children ever. If the white handbook didn't say to be so Astaroshna (careful) around them, I'd probably have them all over my apartment right now... haha! But anyway, like I was saying. He was being hyper and stuff and got into my sumka, (bag) and pulled out my photo album and demanded that I show him who everyone was. I was grateful because it kept him quiet so that everyone else could have a spiritual discussion. After we went through everyone, he went through and tried to repeat everyone's names and after would say "Moi Dloog" (Moi Droog means My Friend) It didn't make me miss home, but it reminded me that I have pictures of home... haha! Yeah, I'm not that homesick. He also taught me a few words that I didn't know. I would point to something in the picture and ask "Shto Eta?" and he'd tell me what it was. It was pretty enjoyable.
A drunk guy was doing really weird things to me on the way to the bus here. I'm pretty sure he was already pedophile while not drunk, so you can only imagine what he was like inebriated... He kept putting his hands on my legs while talking to me and would get Waaaaay to close to my face to ask me a question or something. Like, you-don't-go-that-far-in-a-game-of-chicken kind of close. Panyatna? (Are you understanding me?) When I ended the conversation with what little Russian I could fumble out of my mouth and went to talk to someone else, he followed me and was like... hitting on me. Where ever I would go on the bus, he would follow and try talking to me or getting really close to me. It freaked me out. haha! oh man... I need to work on my gift of discernment to avoid those situations in the first place.
Peanut butter here costs about 20 dollars... Uzhastna... Thanks sister Braithwaite for sending me that peanut butter!! Too bad it's already all gone... Other things here are super cheap though! Like clothing! The ties here are sooooo beautiful and like, 4 bucks. Jackpot.

Oh, Tell Michael Dressman to write me! I want to know how life is for him!

Well, I have to go now. I love you all. Life is great here in Russia. I love Mcdonalds here. There are Babushkii everywhere, and they look just like you would stereotype them to look like!

No comments:

Post a Comment