Elder Swartz

Elder Swartz

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Letter #24 From Russia

Hello Everyone!

So life is going well! I'm enjoying my mission very much so. First off I want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOTHER!! I meant to say that last week, but I was seriously in such a hurry I forgot to mention it! Thank you for all your birthday wishes that I have received! They have been much appreciated! So really this week has been a roller coaster of emotions! Like every week... First off, my whole mission I've felt totally fine about the language, but ever since we've been meeting with a certain investigator, I've felt so inadequate! She speaks so quickly and uses such big words, I can barely understand what she's saying. My companion is very good at the language so they communicate just fine, but whenever I talk, she just looks around as if wondering if anyone else is noticing how bad I'm speaking, or she'll try super hard not to burst out laughing when I speak because my grammar isn't perfect. After an outburst of laughter from her last night I asked her why she kept doing that and she said that it seemed I was just trying so hard to prove that I could speak well when in reality I couldn't speak the language at all. I wanted to punch her in the face. After that, I couldn't speak at all around her without stumbling because she kept putting her hand up to her mouth to keep from laughing. Man! People like that just irritate me! Then later we were walking her home she asked if she could link arms with me because it was slippery. I told her I had no idea what she said and turned and started talking to our member who was with us. What a punk.
haha! I still have a lot of growing to do.
Also the other way we were contacting outside and we asked this lady how she was doing. She raised her eyebrows in this manner like "This mere mortal dares speak with me?" And then she said "Vui yesho Zheevoi? Co Bcyem Uzhastna..." Which means "You two are still living...? That is simply disgusting..." and she walked away, totally serious. We just kept shouting blessings of health and love and joy to her as she walked down the block. I find it interesting how the Lord doesn't really let that bother us even though it's probably the most threatening thing I've heard in this city. It's important to keep your attitude up while people are tearing it down. There is such a big contrast in my fruitfulness as a missionary when I let things bounce off me like that rather than if I let them get to me, like with the girl who kept laughing at me. Missionary work is so much easier when you are in a better mood and your confidence is high...

My time is up... haha!

I love you all!

Loves, Elder Svortz!

No comments:

Post a Comment