Elder Swartz

Elder Swartz

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Letter #11 From Russia

Hello Family!!

So there's this story here in Russia about a taxi driver and a priest. Both die. The taxi driver goes to Heaven and the priest goes to Hell. The priest, confused, complains to the devil and asks "Why am I down here while that Taxi driver is up there? He was the worst, most reckless driver in town!" The devil responds "Because the taxi driver got a lot more people praying in his car than you ever got to pray in your chapel."

I thought that was funny.

I hope Thanksgiving was wonderful! I'm sure it was! I ca't even tell you how much I was craving to have the food we usually have on thanksgiving! Don't worry, over here we had a little celebration too! We had a little bit of mashed potatoes and turkey! Not as good as our family's stuff, but it was delicious nonetheless! I really am loving the members here. They are becoming my family... I really hope that I don't get transferred. Of course I won't complain, but I will definitely be sad. What day is Mary going into the MTC again? I think about her everyday! I wrote you a letter, and I'm sending it today!!! you probably won't get it before the MTC, but I expect mother and father to forward it to you in the MTC.
So I was sitting next to Sergey Pakrovskey, one of my best friends here in Russia, speaks English fluently, and he was translating for our mission president because he came to our branch this past weekend. The speaker was talking about the woman taken in adultery and how the people wanted to stone her. But the way he translated it was "The Jesus said to these people 'if any of you are a good person, throw a rock at her.'" I had to work hard not to laugh. Not only that, but I suddely realized why I get laughed at all the time here in Russia. Learning another language is so hard, so humbling, so fun, so stressful, and so fulfilling!
So we had about 11 or 12 people who could be baptized, but one of them dissapeared of the face of the earth, actually, no. two of them did. two others called and said they want none of it anymore. two went crazy... Another one said he really wanted to be baptised, but there is nothing wrong with smoking, so no. Anya knows everything and considers us her second family, but every week there is another reason why she can't come to church. The others refuse to set a date that they can meet with us! SO DIFFICULT! You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it get baptized.
So I was going to buy you all Christmas presents, nothing much, but presents nonetheless... but I gave the money away. This guy Vitalee really needed some help... So too bad for you guys! haha!
I'm running out of time!!! I love you all! I heard Seth Wood is going Spanish Speaking, texas! That is so great!!! Good luck to him! I love you all!

Elder Swartz!

No comments:

Post a Comment